When patients need help recovering after a heart event—or support when dealing with a chronic heart related condition—they can depend on our cardiac rehab team. Exceptionally skilled and available to work with patients right in Pender, there’s no reason to travel for the care you need.
Our Cardiac Rehabilitation Approach
Cardiac rehab is a supervised exercise program that also provides education about nutrition, medication use and general lifestyle choices to help patients strengthen their hearts and lead healthier lives.
The main goal of any cardiac rehabilitation program is to lower the likelihood of future heart problems or related death. And as many people who’ve participated in these programs can attest, it can help you feel better physically and emotionally and give you greater control over your health.
People who enroll in this program typically have more success when it comes to controlling other cardiovascular risk factors (for example, high blood pressure or cholesterol). That’s because cardiac rehab programs are comprehensive, focusing on the whole patient and equipping him or her with the tools and information needed to make long-term health changes possible.
Cardiac rehab programs generally span 6-8 weeks with sessions 2-3 times a week. Your cardiac rehab program team may consist of your:
- Primary Care Provider
- Medical Director
- Physical and/or Occupational Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Behavioral Health
- Social Services
What We Can Help With
The health conditions our cardiac rehab team can help with are:
- Recovery after a heart attack or heart related events
- Prevention of future hospital stays, heart problems and death related to heart problems.
- Addressing risk factors that can lead to coronary heart disease and other heart problems. These risk factors include high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, overweight or obesity, diabetes, smoking, lack of physical activity, depression and other emotional concerns.
- Adopting healthy lifestyle changes. These changes may include following a heart healthy diet, being physically active and learning how to manage stress.
- Improving your health and quality of life.
- If you need to schedule an appointment with the cardiac rehab team, please call 402-385-1845 or check with your primary healthcare provider with any questions, concerns or to request a referral.